Monday, January 12, 2009

Book Club

A few of my friends from physical therapy school started an amazing bookclub/wine night. It reminds me how much I love being with smart and motivated women. And how much I love drinking wine.

The sad part of the night was the number of my friends who hate their jobs. It's staggering, considering we spent so much time during 4 years of undergrad and 3 years of grad school to end up with a doctorate degree, endless student loans, and a potentially horrible job. In these economic times it's hard to complain about any job, but some of my colleagues are going up against the lack of lunch break, lack of overtime pay, and threats to have to pay back benefits if they quit before a year. Others get their paycheck upon attendance of a mandatory in-service and are told by the higher-ups that there's no reason everyone has to be friends. Others still are faced with ethical dilemas including being asked to bill for units that have the best reimbursement rate, regardless of the actual treatment given.

In the end I overate, drank too much amazing white wine, and came home with a newfound appreciation for my wonderful job(s).

1 comment:

Doublebanker said...

It's good to hear comparisons about job satisfaction. Many are not happy, but the economy leaves little option.